As I jog my memory through the years, how can I forget MY childhood and the magic that brought me to the present?
An only child, my parents ANNIE AND ALFRED GUILLOT, when I was born were "share croppers" out in the country of Lafayette Parish, Louisiana! As a two year old, and because my MOM was ill, my DAD carried me around in a "cotton sack" as he picked cotton and cared for the farm animals. I remember so well being anxious for the day to end so I could crawl up on the porch step and wait for a warm glass of milk fresh from DAISY (OUR COW)! Whoever heard of pastuerized milk?
Because they'd had very little education, my parents decided that when I became school age they must relocate to the city so I could be enrolled in the first grade. My DAD delivered ice (for refrigerators) in a horse-drawn carriage..and MOM was a "cook" for the hired men at the COTTON GIN (where cotton from the fields was brought to be baled and headed for the factories. My MOM soon opened her own store and was a real merchandise/saleslady gem..and, of course, I was recipient of lovely clothes each season.
Although I had been singing for a long time, school is where that love was first recognized by my teachers and classmates. I think it made me recognize the other great value we find in life and, how satisfying it is to accomplish goals for oneself, independent of others.
High School opened doors in MUSIC and other related areas and in 1947 I was the FIRST MAJORETTE at Lafayette High School and always in school plays and programs until graduation in January of that year.
Because of my accomplishments in typing and shorthand, it was easy to find my first job w/an Attorney and after my degree in SECRETARIAL SCIENCE, Secretary to the Mayor of the City..where I found the young man I was to share my life with! "YOUNG AND FOOLISH", but ready to conquer the world together!
Monday, October 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Looking in the mirror brings with it alot of wishes for changing one's past!
ReplyDelete